Herman Rusch started working on the Prairie Moon Garden and Museum in 1952, when he retired from 40 years of farming. The museum came first, when Rusch rented an old dance hall as a place to display his collections of unusual rock formations, natural wood oddities, taxidermy, curiosities and antique tools. After a few years he decided that the outside of the museum needed improvement, so he built a concrete flower planter. With this introduction to concrete construction, Rusch began populating his property with miniature buildings, decorative fences, towers and birdhouses built of concrete, rock and seashells.
The Prairie Moon Museum is located just west of Highway 35 between Cochrane and Fountain City, WI.
References and Links to the Prairie Moon Museum